Thursday, April 2, 2020

Books to Read While Physically Distancing: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Did you know that your Galesburg Public Library card allows you to check out e-books and audio books through the Libby app? All you need is your library card and your PIN (your birth date in MMDDYYYY format) and you'll be on your way to reading on your phone or tablet!

Books to Read While Physically Distancing (BtRWPD) will focus on books available for checkout through Libby.

Artemis Fowl
by Eoin Colfer
New York: Viking Press, 2001

Artemis Fowl is a brilliant criminal mastermind. His family (and their fortune) have been on the wrong side of the law for generations. His latest plan is to ransom a fairy for its gold and find his missing father. Completely realistic plans for a twelve year old.

I'll admit to a bias going into this book. Urban fantasy, especially where other races like fairies, vampires, shapeshifters, etc., live alongside humans is my favorite genre. So it's not surprising that I really enjoyed this book. I'd heard of the series (and upcoming movie) but hadn't had a chance to check it out yet. I finished it within 24 hours, and it was very successful in keeping my interest (I've had trouble concentrating on books lately, for some reason). It was engaging and action packed, and it was a refreshing change to have an anti-hero as the main character. I enjoyed the melding of magic and science. At times, it was a bit over the top, but seeing as how the author referred to it as 'Die Hard with fairies', this is absolutely intentional and works within the book. I definitely recommend this for older kids up through adults. 

No comments:

Post a Comment